Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Summer Nights



One of my favorite things to do in the summer here in Woodinville is to go to see concerts at the Chateau Ste Michelle Winery. The evenings are usually warm (a relative term in the Seattle area), the music is great, the setting is perfect and it's not too far from home. I love to see the hot air balloons fly over the venue, while everyone cheers and waves at them.

We've only had bad weather twice, that I can recall, over the years (we used to go to the shows as far back as the '90's - pre-kids). I remember that it was really cold at an early show in June when we saw Crosby, Stills and Nash a few years back. Rain hit us during our pre-show picnic with some friends when we went to see Steely Dan. We had our own little private party under a tarp until the show started. I wish I had some pictures of that - but I was likely having too much fun to get out the camera. Fortunately the rain let up right before the music began. It probably wouldn't have mattered as it was SUCH a great show.


We usually arrive early so we can get a good spot on the lawn, picnic, drink some wine and some of us even like to nap (my sister, Liz, is catching some zzzs).


Here is Lyle Lovett and his LARGE band. I am always amazed at how soft spoken and humble he is - and then how he can really let it rip and be so gregarious in his performance. Ya gotta love their suits and ties.

I've been working on some sets of tumblers lately. I'm thinking they would be great for wine - especially for a picnic or an outdoor concert. Wine glasses are tricky at a picnic. We pack in some great low backpack chairs that have a spot for a beverage in the arm- but wine glasses don't work well in the little pockets. I've seen all kinds of metal wine glass stakes, etc... that just seem gimicky and a hassle to deal with. I'm thinking these tumblers I've been making might be just the ticket. I made some years ago that I put finger/hand grab indents on. We were celebrating our ceramic's teacher's 70th birthday with wine and cake - right in the middle of our class. I still have them to remind me that I don't throw very well after a glass of wine or two. ;-)


This summer we have tickets to see Steve Miller Band, so far. I remember listening to my older brother's tapes and still to this day remember most of the words to the songs. We're thinking about channeling our inner disco with an Earth, Wind and Fire show in August. There are lots of good choices this year. I'll be packin' the tumblers.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Mel, such great memories pre and post kids!
    You were always such a great concert connection for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that we saw Dave with you, Charlie and little Casey in your belly the night Jerry died. Remember that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jilly - you know I will always be your concert connection. Just say the word!

    ReplyDelete