Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day



I've been working on a series of what I call "quoatables" for lack of a better description. I've always been a lover of quotes since I bought John Barlett's book of Familiar Quotations back in high school. I occaisionally look back at that book. Even though the Internet is an amazing resource for quotes, I still buy small books of quotes from time to time. The book I picked up most recently is called Happily Grateful. This Mother's Day I've been thinking about happiness and gratitude. I have had such wonderful day with my family. The kids brought me to tears with their sweet handmade gifts and especially the letters they each wrote to me. I sat on my bed with them all smothering me with love, hugs and kisses; feeling incredibly happy and grateful!

I made a few mugs with quotes about mothers. The quotes are subtle in their appearance which I can't decide if I like or not. I like that it's not screaming the sentiment but I don't want it to be too difficult to read either. I recently bought some slip that I'm going to experiment with some sgraffito work with using the quotes to see if I can produce some different results.
Here are some sample photos of the mother mugs. It's difficult to photograph the quotes as they wrap around the mug. They are much more readable in person than they are in a photograph.

"A mother's love endures through all."
This mug has some carved scroll work interlaced with hearts and the quote wrapped below it.







"A mother's heart is a special place where children always have a home."


No comments:

Post a Comment