One of my blue mugs is featured in a Blue Moon Treasury. I saw the theme and immediately started singing "Blue Moon" in my head. I grew up in the '70s and fell in love with the movie Grease. I bought the sound track (on vinyl, of course) and played it constantly. Blue Moon was one of the songs on the soundtrack, so I hear the Sha Na Na version of the song and the mooners when I think of it (this is a Youtube video with dubbed Spanish at the end of it, which was unexpected when I listened to it). My 12 year old mind back then thought the mooning was hilarious, of course.
Recently I watched the movie again with my kids. I was surprised at all the things that must have completely went over my head when I was 12. I just loved the singing, dancing and visual appeal of it. I saw the movie about 10 times with my friends in 1978 - pre VCR and DVD days - so you could only see it in a theater. My kids have no idea of that concept. They look at me with a confused look when I explain that we had only 5 or 6 TV channels, a black and white TV with no remote control and how we'd look forward to the airings of the Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, The Grinch and the Charlie Brown Specials. Kids today have so many media choices at their fingertips. I can't imagine what that would have been like for me when I was a kid. I think it might have been a little overwhelming. I remember when we got our color TV and what a big deal that was. Funny how things change.

No comments:
Post a Comment