I just returned from a night out in Seattle with Bill to see Amos Lee at the Moore Theater. Thankfully I brought along my mini umbrella because it rained. I popped it out of my purse and quickly opened it to avoid the dreaded frizzy rain hair I so easily get in this climate. As I looked around the busy downtown area, I noticed that I was the ONLY umbrella on the block. Seriously. Many people had their hoods up and the others just didn't bother. I found myself feeling a little funny with my little umbrella in the rain. How crazy is that?!? I guess it just drizzles here so much that people just stop bothering with umbrellas.
We lived in Sacramento for nine years and I was surprised by how people there didn't like to go places when it rained. It seemed like really rainy days in Sacramento were the PNW equivalent of a snow day. And yes, if they did have to go out in the rain, they definitely used umbrellas.
Years ago I used to work for a buyer for a couple of retail stores. I'll never forget meeting a new sales rep for a company that sold raincoats and umbrellas. She had just moved to the area and said she thought she'd hit the mother load with her new Pacific NW territory. She was surprised that her numbers weren't what she thought they would be. I guess it made sense - people think Seattle = rain = lots of umbrellas. Sadly for that sales rep, it's not really true. Well, the rain part is, but not the umbrella part of the equation. I was reminded of that again tonight during my lone umbrella moment.
I came home to discover one of my leaf and berry mugs is in a spring themed Treasury called "Leafy - Ready for Spring?" My answer to that is a definite YES!

No comments:
Post a Comment