Thursday, June 24, 2010

No Solicitors... or maybe not?!?

Summer time seems to be open season for solicitors in our neighborhood. We live in a city that is pretty rural so there aren't sidewalks, etc... Most of the houses have driveways off of a main road.

Our home is in a small development of about 40 houses in a loop, which seems to make us a prime target for solicitors. I've never lived somewhere where we've had so many people try to sell us things. I'm all for supporting the Girls Scouts, Cub Scouts and other organizations like that. What I get SO tired of is the pest guys, tree guys, driveway sealers, a/c-heat guys, magazine salesmen, window washers, yard guys - all trying to sell us their services. If I needed their services, I wouldn't be waiting around for them to knock on my door.

I finally had it last summer after a particular bad week of solicitors that wouldn't take no for an answer and put up a small "No Solictors" sign right over our doorbell. I'm still blown away by all the people that still try despite my efforts to tell them up front that we aren't interested.


Why just today I found 3 different flyers on our front door handle and porch (yard service, A/C and driveway re-surfacing) when I answered the door. Who was at the door? A pest guy, who decided it was his job to inform me that my "No Solicitors" sign was "about the smallest one he's ever seen". What?!? So, did that give him the right to ring my doorbell when I was telling him not to with my little sign? Geez. I admit that it is small (and ugly), but it really shouldn't matter.

I'm making a new sign out of clay - large enough for the pest guy to read.

Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

Update: Here are a couple that I just finished. I'm going to either do a wrapped wire or a ribbon as a hanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment