Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Slip Casting


Test tiles

I poured 6 tiles into plaster tile casts that I made. I'm happy with the way they turned out for the most part. The first few had some plaster flecks imbedded in the clay from carving I did while the plaster was still soft (see "working in the negative" post below).

I need to perfect a better way of drying them so they don't warp. I learned that it might be good to get some deep sea fishing weights to set on top of the drying tile to help prevent warping. I'm trying to complete a bunch of tiles for a joint Christmas gift project with an in-law who is a wood worker. The tiles will need to be flat for the best results. Flat tiles... a good goal. Not as easy to do as it might seem. Here are some pictures of the first set of slip cast tiles that I made. They've only been bisqued. I still need to glaze them.

No comments:

Post a Comment