The sun was out yesterday! I had a little free time in the afternoon while the boys played outside so I opened up the garage doors, let the sunshine in and went "bowling" - throwing as bowl after bowl after bowl. It reminded me of the Empty Bowls workshops that I used to do at Linnell's Studio in Sacramento. This morning I trimmed up the bowls and let the kids decorate a couple of them with carving tools.
My six year old, Jacob, insisted that I help him throw a pot. He's watched me throw enough to pick up on a few things - which I realized when he asked to spin the wheel and put some swirls down the outside of the finished pot. Kids really are sponges in disquise. He loves to handbuild but I can tell he has a urge to tackle the art, balance and challenge of the potter's wheel. I told him he should start saving up for his own wheel. I'm sure he'll be eclipsing me in no time. ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment