Today I taught an after school art class at a local elementary school. We made caterpillars like the one from the Eric Carle book "The Very Hungry Caterpillar". We made them out of pinch pots that were nested together to form the segments of the caterpillar. It was a busy class full of kids from kindergarten to third grade. They made some very cute caterpillars. We humped up many of the caterpillars over some newsprint to make them look like they were crawling. My favorite is the one withe the eyelashes and strawberry on it's back. When I asked the little girl who made it about what was on her caterpillar's back she replied, "It's a strawberry for when the caterpillar isn't so full." Too cute.
I hope the caterpillars survive firing. They are mostly hollow as I had the kids put holes in the bottoms of their pinch pots - but they are still pretty solid. I also poked holes in the bottom of the caterpillars to help with drying and firing. I just hope they don't become "The Very Broken Caterpillars" during firing.
No comments:
Post a Comment