Thursday, March 11, 2010

Forever in Blue Jeans...and Rabbit Holes

I pretty much live in jeans these days, so it's appropriate that I found a glaze/clay combination that looks a lot like worn and faded denim. The brownish/gold edges remind me a bit of the gold thread used to make jeans. I like the thought - wearing demin while I drink coffee out of a denim colored mug.


This is a set of mugs that I think turned out well.

And just so I'm not misleading anyone that all pieces come out great, I'll share some of the bummers from this last load. The biggest bummer was that one of my tried and true glazes is running like crazy on the new clay body that I am using now. Even more of a bummer is that I glazed a mug I made specifically to fit in a car cup holder for a friend's birthday - and it got trashed in this run off mess. *grrr*

I'm going to have to wax up a bit higher next time - and do some serious scraping of one of my kiln shelves.


I have a permanent (*fingers crossed*) new piece of ceramic in my mouth. Yes, the dental drama of my tooth number 30 has come to an end. Today I had a new crown put on - not something I'd usually blog about but they used a really incredible machine to create it out of a piece of high fired porcelain - which, of course, I found fascinating. They took 3D digital images of my tooth and the post that they drilled it down to. Then they used a machine to cut the crown out of a block of high fired poreclain. I watched it work - and in 6 minutes I had a new tooth - that fit perfectly. No messy impressions, no temporary crown, and best of all - no return visit to put the final crown on. It really was very slick.

The Internet can be such a rabbit hole at times. You go looking for something and end up somewhere else. I was just looking at a tooth chart online so I could correctly identify dear old tooth number 30 (yes, you can can find most anything on the Internet) and I came across a website that charted teeth and the jaw in relation to parts of the body - like a reflexology chart does for feet (which by the way I'm sort of a believer in after a strange foot thing I had going on while pregnant with big baby twins - but that is yet another rabbit hole of a story for another day... or maybe not).

It said, "Basically, the reflexive relationship between tooth site and organ is an energetic one, created as a consequence of the tooth site and the organ sharing an energy channel or meridian, as it’s called in Traditional Chinese Medicine. A problem in your jaw can affect you just about anywhere in your body, for every tooth site crosses one or more of the 12 major meridians"

So is it a coincidence that my youngest who had problems with his front teeth as an infant and eventually had the both pulled at age 4 - had a bad kidney that he had removed? According to this the front teeth run through the kidney and bladder meridians.

And tooth number 30? I guess it could explain other ailments I've had related to the meridians that they say run through it.

What about the four teeth I had pulled in order to get braces?!? I hate think what ailments that might be causing me now. ;-) I can't even look.

Next time I get an backache, I might have to blame in on a root canal. hee hee.

If you read all of this, my apologies for making you follow me down this rabbit hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment