I remember when I pulled my first handle for a mug. It was awkward and really ugly. I still have that mug. I'll have to dig it out and take a photograph of it sometime. It would be worth a good laugh. My teacher and friend, Linnell, commented that I only had 999 to go to perfect putting a handle on a mug. I'm not sure if' I've made 999 mugs so far, but I can say it's much easier for me to pull a decent handle than it used to be.
Tonight I pulled and attached a couple of dozen handles to some terra cotta mugs - some are pictured above. I am so much more aware of how the handle feels in the hand. I want the handle to feel natural - like your hand fits just right. I'm always looking for that perfect fit/feel. I find myself unconsciously running my hand over the handles of well made handles mugs trying to dissect what it is about the mug and handle that my hand likes and doesn't like.
It took me a while to get used to the different feel of pulling terra cotta handles because the terra cotta creates so much more slip when pulling with it. I now have pruney red stained hands. One thing is for sure, I'll never be a hand model.
No comments:
Post a Comment