Friday, July 24, 2009

glazed and waxy




I'm trying to get a glaze firing done before the "heat wave" here in the NW that we are expecting this weekend through next week. Firing up a kiln in the middle of 95* weather makes things hot in our garage so I'm working hard to try to get lots done. The big challenge is that my youngest turns 7 and we are having a birthday party on Sunday here for him. He really needs a birthday month because he's SO into it. I'm trying to simplify things but he really wants to be involved with the details which complicates it all. I should probably hold off and not stress everyone out as I try to do too much. I'm trying to meet a deadline on a custom pot and don't want to fire an almost empty kiln.

Here are some photos of waxed pots and glaze mixing. Potters know this, but for the non-ceramic folks, I put wax on the bottoms of pots so that I can dip them in buckets full of glaze and not have the glaze stick to the pot bottom. The wax burns off during firing. If you glaze the bottom of a pot it will become one with the kiln shelf and your piece and kiln shelf are pretty much ruined.
I haven't posted in a while since most of what I've been working on has been routine things like glaze mixing, sanding, re-coating kiln shelves with kiln wash, and waxing pot bottoms... not very interesting, but it part of the process of ceramics. Making a piece from beginning to end is more involved than most people realize. I guess it's that way with most crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment