One of my kids had to do a little speech today on the meaning of his name. When I look back on how we chose his name, it all seems unplanned to me. We went to the hospital with three boys names (Jasper, Jackson or Finn) and two girls names (Zoe or Julia) picked out. He came home with a completely different name with meanings that fits him so well now that we really know him: willful, desiring, protective, sheilding, taking someone else's place.
It got me thinking about my given name Melanie Susan Tyler - meaning black lily tile maker. Hmmm. So fitting for me these days. Certainly my parents didn't plan that. I remember when I learned that my first name meant black. It never made much sense to me. Now that I think about it at this point in my life, I realize I've made tiles in many different colors, but I'm always drawn back to black as the base color for me to carve into. Perhaps this urge has been with me since I was born.
What does your name mean? Does it "fit"?
No comments:
Post a Comment